Commercial IOT sensors installed on lampposts across the city by any company who wishes to provide IOT services. These sensors are capable of gathering temperature, light, pressure, humidity and pollution.
There is the possibility of creating a new business model by way of monetising the sensor data. One scenario could be as such:
- The city would pay for access to the light sensors to decide when to turn on and off the street lights
- A university may want access to the pollution information for research purposes for a limited period
- The weather department would want the temperature and pressure data
- The street town council center would want the temperature and humidity data for planning during rough weather
There is also a possibility to do two kinds of analytics – local analytics (each sensor itself) or aggregated analytics (sensor data blending from various sources).
Few challenging questions about this new approach to making sensing-as-a-service.
- Do you think this concept will work?
- Do you think people will pay for the data?
- Internet of Things – Will It Really Fly?
- Sensing-as-a-Service – An IOT Cloud Service
- 4 Reasons Why Internet of Things (IOT) Adoption Will Not be as Slow as IPv6?
- Using Smartphone as the “Sensing Device” for Crowdsourcing Applications
- Internet of Things (IOT) Target market – Consumer (B2C) or Enterprise (B2B)?
- 4 Main Challenges to Become an IOT Service Provider
- How to Self Quantify A Network Using Internet of Things (IoT)?
- The Early Adopters of Internet of Things (IoT)
- How to Create Knowledge from Raw Data Using Internet of Things (IoT)
- Commercial IOT Sensor Provider
- Can IOT Answer These Questions?
- Avoiding Malaysian Floods Using IOT
- The Importance of IOT Data Sets in Malaysia
- Five (5) Reasons Why “Things” (IoT) Require Their Own Facebook
- Will IoT Make You Lazy?
- Four (4) Compelling Reasons to Adopt IoT
About the Author
Dr. Mazlan Abbas is the CEO of REDtone IOT. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org . You can follow him on LinkedIn at https://my.linkedin.com/in/mazlan/ or Twitter at http://twitter.com/mazlan_abbas . For further details, check out http://about.me/mazlan.abbas