This is the second of a series of “How-To” articles to develop IoT solutions. The first part is how to solve the problem of “Unattended Garbage.” Every year Malaysia is facing floods, and it seems an unending issue. It will be perfect if we are able to predict floods and help to prepare the worst before the disaster happen either to evacuate or make the necessary preparations. But sometimes, flash floods happen in the city themselves especially in places no one can ever predict. However, the cause of flash floods is mainly due to improper drainage or near construction sites (or is it?). But can we actually avoid floods?
- What is the water level in the river?
- When does the river swell up?
- Where is the location of water rise?
- Where are the areas that require immediate evacuation?
- Who is contributing to the rise in water level?
- How to control the water level?
- How fast is the water rising?
- Why is the water rising?
- Water level and weather sensors
- Tide monitoring sensor
- Astronomical data
- GPS for rescue vehicles (OBD)
- GIS data
- Network infrastructure (Wifi, 3G
- IOT Middleware
- Visualization dashboard
- Social network integration
This is by no means a comprehensive step-by-step solution but it will help you to start your exciting journey in developing your own IoT solution. Feel free to add your suggestions.
About the Author
Dr. Mazlan Abbas is an IOT Evangelist, Thought Leader and CEO of REDtone IOT. You can reach him on LinkedIn at https://my.linkedin.com/in/mazlan/ or Twitter at http://twitter.com/mazlan_abbas . Check all presentation slides HERE.
For further details, check out http://iotworld.co