Let’s take a look at how we can solve the problem of river pollution and improve the quality of the river.
Background & Impact of River Pollution
- Malaysia has 120 rivers which are sources of water supply, and 43 were located in Selangor
- Sungai Selangor provided water to 60 per cent of residents in the Klang Valley. Water treatment plant at Sungai Selangor cost about RM900 million
- Nearly 40% of rivers in Selangor are known as dead rivers. Klang and Gombak rivers are among the most polluted water systems in Malaysia.
- 64 cases of river contamination occurred in the past five years, with 15 in the last year alone
- In Selangor alone, the amount of solid waste could rise to 6,000 tons by 2017. More than 19 percent of waste end up in the drains, which then causes flash floods and other health problems.
- Consumers will face an increase in water tariffs if the current pollution of rivers in the city continues to worsen
- What are the pollutants in the river?
- What is the pollution level?
- When is the highest pollution detected?
- Where is the location of contaminants?
- Who is contributing to the rise in pollution?
- How to control the pollution level?
- How much is the pollution level?
- Why is the pollution rising at a particular time?
- Why is the pollution rising at certain locations?
- IoT Middleware (FAVORIOT)
- Chemical sensors
- Water level sensors
- Network infrastructure (Wifi, 3G)
- Visualization Dashboard
- Crowd-sourced violation information (mobile device)
- GPS input
- Hydro morphology e.g. depth, width, flow
- Water temperature sensor
- In-situ (manual sampling)
- Weather sensors
- How-To Develop Smart River Monitoring
- How-To Develop Smart Garbage Collection
- How-To Develop Smart Flood Monitoring System
- How-To Develop Smart Agriculture Solutions
- Check out the COMPLETE Tutorial How to connect an Arduino to FAVORIOT Platform. You can also download a STEP-by-STEP Tutorial – [download id=”6641″]
This is by no means a comprehensive step-by-step solution but it will help you to start your exciting journey in developing your own IoT solution. Feel free to add your suggestions.
The Beginner Plan is very suitable for University students who have been assigned or chose IoT project as their Final Year Project. A single device such as Raspberry Pi or Arduino that collects from several connected sensors can stream to the IoT platform. A simple dashboard is provided to visualize the measurements. This plan is also suitable for an individual developer or hobbyist that would like to familiarize with IoT platform, conduct self-learning or participate in IoT Hackathons. At RM 8.33 (or less than USD 2.00) per month, you can become the next Generation-IoT and on your way to be one of the rare talents in the job market today!
The Startup Plan is perfect for Freelancers or SMEs or Startups to provide IoT solution for a medium size project up to 150 devices. In fact, they can also create multiple projects or applications but limited to the total number of 150 devices.
The Business Plan is great for developing big commercial IoT project. It can support up to 300 devices for many smart applications. However, if a company requires connecting thousands of devices, they may contact/email their customized requirements to email@example.com
About the Author
Dr. Mazlan Abbas the Co-Founder of FAVORIOT Sdn Bhd. He is an IOT Evangelist and a Thought Leader. He received an award as 50 Most Impactful Smart Cities Leaders by World CSR 2017. He is ranked No. 20th Thought Leader in IOT by 2014 Onalytics Report – “The Internet of Things – Top 100 Thought Leaders”, ranked Top 10 in IoT Top 100 Influencers by Postscapes 2016/2017, ranked Top 100 in Smart Cities Top Experts by Agilience Authority Index May 2016. You can reach him on LinkedIn or Twitter. Check all his presentation slides HERE.