Let’s take a look at how we can solve the problem of river pollution and improve the quality of the river.
Background & Impact of River Pollution in Malaysia
- Malaysia has 120 rivers that are sources of water supply, and 43 were located in Selangor
- Sungai Selangor provided water to 60 percent of residents in the Klang Valley. The water treatment plant at Sungai Selangor cost about RM900 million
- Nearly 40% of rivers in Selangor are known as dead rivers. Klang and Gombak rivers are among the most polluted water systems in Malaysia.
- 64 cases of river contamination occurred in the past five years, with 15 in the last year alone
- In Selangor alone, the amount of solid waste could rise to 6,000 tons by 2017. More than 19 percent of waste end up in the drains, which then causes flash floods and other health problems.
- Consumers will face an increase in water tariffs if the current pollution of rivers in the city continues to worsen
- What are the pollutants in the river?
- What is the pollution level?
- When is the highest pollution detected?
- Where is the location of contaminants?
- Who is contributing to the rise in pollution?
- How to control the pollution level?
- How much is the pollution level?
- Why is the pollution rising at a particular time?
- Why is the pollution rising at certain locations?
- IoT Middleware (FAVORIOT)
- River water sensors (PH, residual chlorine, turbidity, suspended solids, COD, BOD, conductivity, and dissolved oxygen.)
- Water level sensors
- Network infrastructure (Wifi, 3G)
- Visualization Dashboard
- Crowd-sourced violation information (mobile device)
- GPS input
- Hydro morphology e.g. depth, width, flow
- Water temperature sensor
- In-situ (manual sampling)
- Weather sensors
Using FAVORIOT to Create IoT Dashboards
Once you have identified the relevant sensors (either developed in-house or purchased from third parties products), you can integrate, collect and aggregate all the data into a single IoT platform (i.e. FAVORIOT), which can easily create IoT dashboards via the available widgets or extract the data and create customized dashboards.
- How-To Develop Smart River Monitoring
- How-To Develop Smart Garbage Collection
- How-To Develop Smart Flood Monitoring System
- How-To Develop Smart Agriculture Solutions
- Check out the COMPLETE Tutorial How to connect an Arduino to FAVORIOT Platform. You can also download a STEP-by-STEP Tutorial – [download id=”6641″]
This is by no means a comprehensive step-by-step solution but it will help you to start your exciting journey in developing your own IoT solution. Feel free to add your suggestions.
[Source: IoT Based Water Management Systems ]
About the Author
Dr. Mazlan Abbas the Co-Founder of FAVORIOT Sdn Bhd. He is an IOT Evangelist and a Thought Leader. He received an award as 50 Most Impactful Smart Cities Leaders by World CSR 2017. He is ranked No. 20th Thought Leader in IOT by 2014 Onalytics Report – “The Internet of Things – Top 100 Thought Leaders”, ranked Top 10 in IoT Top 100 Influencers by Postscapes 2016/2017, ranked Top 100 in Smart Cities Top Experts by Agilience Authority Index May 2016. You can reach him on LinkedIn or Twitter. Check all his presentation slides HERE.