Every year Malaysia is facing floods, and it seems an unending issue. It will be perfect if we are able to predict floods and help to prepare the worst before the disaster happen either to evacuate or make the necessary preparations. But sometimes, flash floods happen in the city themselves especially in places no one can ever predict. However, the cause of flash floods is mainly due to improper drainage or near construction sites (or is it?). But can we actually avoid floods?
- What is the water level in the river?
- When does the river swell up?
- Where is the location of water rise?
- Where are the areas that require immediate evacuation?
- Who is contributing to the rise in water level?
- How to control the water level?
- How fast is the water rising?
- Why is the water rising?
- Water level and weather sensors
- Tide monitoring sensor
- Astronomical data
- GPS for rescue vehicles (OBD)
- GIS data
- Network infrastructure (Wifi, 3G, 4G, LPWAN)
- FAVORIOT IOT Middleware
- Visualization dashboard
- Social network integration
This is by no means a comprehensive step-by-step solution but it will help you to start your exciting journey in developing your own IoT solution. Feel free to add your suggestions.
- How-To Develop Smart River Monitoring
- How-To Develop Smart Garbage Collection
- How-To Develop Smart Flood Monitoring System
- How-To Develop Smart Agriculture Solutions
Check out the COMPLETE Tutorial How to connect an Arduino to FAVORIOT Platform. You can also download a STEP-by-STEP Tutorial – [download id=”6641″]
About the Author
Dr. Mazlan Abbas the Co-Founder of FAVORIOT Sdn Bhd. He is an IOT Evangelist and a Thought Leader. He received an award as 50 Most Impactful Smart Cities Leaders by World CSR 2017. He is ranked No. 20th Thought Leader in IOT by 2014 Onalytics Report – “The Internet of Things – Top 100 Thought Leaders”, ranked Top 10 in IoT Top 100 Influencers by Postscapes 2016/2017, ranked Top 100 in Smart Cities Top Experts by Agilience Authority Index May 2016. You can reach him on LinkedIn or Twitter. Check all his presentation slides HERE.